There aren’t many places in the world when you are almost guaranteed sunshine all year round, and whilst I can’t promise that the weather in Zululand and along the Elephant Coast will be perfect all the time, we do get pretty close. So whether you prefer hot lazy days at the beach or the cooler alternative of sitting on your veranda appreciating the beauty of nature around you, there is something for everyone. Follow our guide below on the best times of year to visit us at Macadamia Lodge.
- January – The weather is hot and humid, perfect for beach or lazy days at the pool. If you want to avoid the crowds, we suggest visiting during the 2nd half of the month
- February & March – Getting more humid, you’ll spend most of the day in the pool or at the beach. Also quieter so no big queues to get to Cape Vidal
- April & May – Our personal favourite time of year, cooler weather but still sunny. Feast on our avocadoes and pecan nuts if the monkeys don’t get there first. Enjoy the colourful show of the late blossoming shrubs and trees as we move towards autumn. It is also an important time of year for us as it is our Macadamia Harvest time. Join Timmy’s tours of the orchards and learn about our nuts
- June – Autumn colours all around, beautiful sunrises through the morning mist, cooler temperatures and the perfect time to come and play some golf or tennis at Monzi Club. My favourite time to see the hippos on the St Lucia Estuary boat cruises as they are often out basking in the sun with their babies. Our gardens are ripe with citrus trees; enjoy freshly squeezed juices everyday for that added Vitamin C injection.
- July & August – Our winter, cold mornings and nights but warmish days. If you enjoy outdoor activities such as cycling, walking, tennis and golf this is the time to come. August is the windy month; enjoy some bracing walks on the beach. Also a great time for game drives in Hluhluwe/iMfolozi, not to mention iSimangaliso Wetland Park
- September - Springtime, temperatures rising a bit but still cool enough to enjoy being outdoors. MTB fans should come and enjoy the Monzi Hippo Challenge bike race.
- October/November – Summer is coming, rainy season bringing some fabulous and sometimes scary thunderstorms. If you like your birdlife, flowers and butterflies, now is the time to come. We are also inundated with mangos from our garden.
- December – summer is here, hot but still not too humid. Busiest month of the year though so if you don’t like crowds, stay away.